Sunday, December 18, 2011

Picture Frame Ornaments!

I love these. I made one for every child in my daughters class at school and am making them for all of the grandparents, aunts, and special friends who love my kiddos and am inserting a picture from the Christmas Photo Shoot I did with my littles.





I came up with the idea while I was browsing Michaels for other goodies and I came across these kits they had, to make Magnetic Picture Frames. The kit came with 4 Frames, 4 Markers, a sheet of stickers, a couple of Magnet strips and 2 glitter glue pens. And they were on clearance for $1.29! I bought about 12 or so kits, my daughter was thrilled about this, she got to keep the markers, stickers and glitter pens. I kept the magnent strips and frames, but am using the magnents for another project, Bonus!






Ok so here's what you will need:

1. Small wooden unfinished frames
2. Scrapbook Paper
3. Mod-Podge
4. Ribbon
5. Sand Paper, I use emory boards/nail files
6. Foam Glittery Stars (optional)
7. A drill
8. Cardstock (optional-your frame probably comes with some kind of backing) see step below.

*For these, since my edges were so thin I did not paint the edges, but if you had thicker edges you might want some paint to finish the edges with.

1. Start by tracing the frame on the back of your scrapbook paper. Don't forget the inner square!

2. Cut out your paper.

3. Spread a thin layer of Mod-podge on your frame, try to make it as smooth as possible.

4. Glue your paper to your frame, smooth out any air bubbles.

5. Coat the paper with a layer of Mod-Podge, trying to make it as smooth as possible, I use a foam brush for all of my mod-podge projects.

5. Allow to dry, I make mine in the evening and dry all night.

6. Sand the edges after the piece is dry, to get a clean edge.

7. Cut out a square of cardstock that is big enough to cover the photo insert cutout of the frame and allows you to slide in a picture. Mine came with some and I used them for the kids class presents. For the others I traced the backings but I used cardstock instead of the backings it came with, because I had another idea for the backings. I said Backings a lot in the last sentence. Just wanted you to be aware that I was aware.

8. Glue your backings on, but only glue three sides so the top is open and ready for a picture.

9. Drill a hole in the top, be sure to drill above your backing.

10. Insert a piece of ribbon and tie at the top.

Viola! You are done. How fun!

Once I edit the photos I took and put some in the frames I will post another picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment